Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Lychee Golden Sponge Cake

It was my long time girl friend's birthday and I thought of baking a cake for her for the 1st time. She is quite a health conscious lady so I decided to do a light and fruity cake ~ lychee flavored cake with lychee fillings.

I have done lychee cake previously but with normal vanilla chiffon cake recipe as cake base. This time round I decided to use the golden sponge cake recipe as it has a much finer texture and it is really my favorite basic cake at the moment.

As usual, I always like to overcomplicate stuff... haha.. So I thought of doing a dramatic presentation by doing a spin sugar dome cage for decor (a result of watching too much Masterchef Australia). It actually came out very pretty, adding a golden element to the cake, so apt for the golden sponge cake. But I didn't do my research properly and didn't realise spun sugar cannot be prepared in advance or keep in the fridge as it will melt away.. Luckily I was reminded by someone in my baking group, and so I have to remove the spun sugar from the cake. Alas, the cake looks so ordinary without the spun sugar... haha... Nevermind la.. at least I tried.. =)

lychee-golden-sponge-cake-spun-sugar-liancanbake
:: Spun sugar cage adds a dramatic golden presentation to the cake ::


This Lychee Golden Sponge Cake recipe is adapted from the Golden Sponge Cake recipe by Nasi Lemak Lover’s blog. I replaced butter with rice barn oil to make it a healthier choice.

Lychee Golden Sponge Cake Recipe
(6 inch removable base cake pan)

Ingredients:

50g rice barn oil 
50g cake flour (sifted)
6g corn starch (sieved together with cake flour)
3 large egg yolks (my egg size is approx 70g with shell)
55g milk + 1/4 tsp lychee essence 


3 large egg whites (my egg size is approx 70g with shell)
50g caster sugar

How to do:

1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over low heat till it starts to have small bubbles and remove from heat.
2. Add in the sifted flour and stir till combined and transfer to a clean mixing bowl.
3. Add in the milk and mix till well combined.
4. Add in the yolk one by one and mix well with each addition.
5. In another clean, dry and grease-free bowl, beat the egg whites till till foamy and add in the sugar.
5. Continue to beat till the meringue mixture becomes white, shiny and attain firm peak.
6. Mix in 1/3 of the meringue to the yolk mixture to thin the mixture.
7. Fold in the remaining 2/3 meringue gently in 2 installments.
8. Pour into the cake pan at one position slowly and shake the pan gently when done to level the cake batter.
9. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 145 degree* (on oven thermometer, oven dial shows 120 degree) for 50 min or till the skewer comes out clean.
10. Invert the cake pan and let it completely cool before remove from pan.

*Please use your usual chiffon cake baking temperature as each oven is different. I am still experimenting with mine, hoping to get a non crack cake. 

The cake is then chilled, layered and filled with whip cream and canned lychee fruits. I used 1& 1/2 can as I had 2 layers of fillings and non dairy whip cream about 150 ml. 
The cake is chilled first so that it get a bit firmer and easier for slicing.

The cake itself is not a very sweet cake, so it tasted just nice when paired with the sweetness of the lychee fruit and whip cream. If you intend to have it on its own or if you have a sweet tooth, can increase the sugar a bit.

The lychee aroma of the cake is very strong. When my friend opened the cake box, the first thing she said is that the cake has a very fragrant lychee aroma. After tasting it, she commented that texture tasted like cheese cake, very soft and fluffy. As we had a very full dinner, we only managed to finished up half the cake. My friend took back the other half and she whatsapp me 1 hour later that her hubby actually devoured the remaining half.

I am extremely overjoyed because her hubby is known to have a high standard when it comes to food. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

:: The presentation without spun sugar ::
It's a pity that my friends didn't get to see the original presentation with the spun sugar. Can only look at the pretty photo.. haha.. Perhaps next time when they come over to my place, I shall attempt again.  

spun-sugar-lychee-cake-liancanbake.blogspot.sg
:: So pretty but a pity it doesn't last ::

No comments:

Post a Comment