Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Soft & Fluffy - Hokkaido Milk Bread

With the 1st considerable successful attempt at baking a basic bread loaf using Song-Cho bread machine, I started to search for recipes that produce soft and fluffy bread.

Once again, I turned to my one of my favourite recipes blog: Everybody Eats Well in Flanders
and found this awesome bread recipe!

Recipe adapted from  Everybody Eats Well in Flanders

*I have halved the recipe to test if this recipe works for me.

This bread is baked using my Song-Cho Breadmaker.


Ingredients:

135g bread flour
15g cake flour
2 + 1/2 tbsp skim milk powder
20g fine sugar
1/3 tsp salt
1/2 egg
62.5g fresh milk
37.5g cream

1/2 tsp yeast


How to do:

1. Pour the ingredients into the bread barrel according to the sequence above from bottom up except for yeast.
2. Make a well in the bread flour and put the yeast into the well.
3. Select menu '5. Sweet' on the breadmaker, set color & loaf option & press start.

The original recipe will make 700g loaf but since I halved the recipe, theoretically, it should bake a 350g loaf. Anyway, I select 1.0LB under loaf option.

I guessed I could have just leave the breadmaker to do its job and have a nice little loaf. But my itchy hands just have to play around with the recipe.

So I waited till the breadmaker completed its Rise2 and pause the machine, took out the dough, portioned into 4 equal portion.
I stuffed a piece of hazelnut chocolate into the middle each portion and shaped it round, put it back into the breadmaker, unpause the machine and let it continue with Rise3 & Bake.

I have to say.. This recipe is really good! Baking in breadmaker.. not so good... hahaha..
As expected, baking in the breadmaker developed a rather thick crust.
But the recipe itself produces very soft and fluffy bread. The best part is that it stayed fluffy even till the next day. 


Hokkaido Milk Bread
:: Hokkaido Milk Bread Using Song-Cho Breadmaker ::


:: Soft & Fluffy Milk Bread with Hazelnut Chocolate :: 

Also, due to the reduce ingredients, kneading using the breadmaker is not so ideal as the mixing blade tends to drop out so I need to pause the machine and reattached a few times. So I guessed there's a minimum weight criteria for the ingredients in order to use the breadmaker efficiently.

To conclude, I am very happy with the success of this recipe but I will probably bake using the oven the next time.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout! If you want a not so thick and dark crust, you may wish to try wrapping the exterior of your BM pot with aluminium foil with the shiny side facing inwards. And try to make your bread according to the size indicated by your BM, because if your bread loaf is too small, the result will not be optimal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips!!
      I shall try it soon! =)

      Delete