My mom got very interested in breadmaker after watching some TV home shopping program. And I understand from my friends that breadmaker is really easy to use.. just dump everything in a particuar order and you get a nice hot bread at the end of about 3 hours.
And so after looking around, we decided to get a Song-Cho breadmaker. Price is one of the attractive factors (below $200). It comes with a 18 presets functions and the promotor said apart from making various types of bread, it can be used for making Mee Hoon Kueh dough and jam.
The machine is made in China and comes with an English and Chinese instruction menu. Maybe because it is made in China, the menu was probably first written in Chinese then translate to English. The English is not very well translated. Some info are been missed out while some of the translated English are hard to understand. However, if you can understand Chinese, the Chinese menu is quite comprehensive.
|:: Sleek Looking Song-Cho Breadmaker ::|
|:: 18 preset menus of Song-Cho Breadmaker ::|
Base on the menu, the ingredients should always be placed into the bread barrel according to this sequence:
Water => Oil => Sugar => Salt => Milk Powder => Flour => Yeast
I have done some research on breadmaker and bread making and my understanding is this:
1) Always put in the liquid ingredients 1st
2) Followed by sugar at one corner, salt at the opposite far corner
3) Flour should be put in as 2nd last ingredient
4) Yeast will be the last ingredient to be in, preferably dig a well in the center of the flour and put it in.
It is essential that the yeast does not touch the liquid ingredients, salt & sugar if you are using the delayed baking function.
Using the recipe in the instruction menu.
12ml cooking oil
1 tbsp milk powder
260g bread flour
1 tsp yeast (I used instant yeast)
How to do:
1. Put all the ingredients into the bread barrel according to sequence listed above
2. Turn on the Song-Cho Breadmaker
3. Press the Menu button twice so that '2. Basic' preset function is selected.
4. Press the Color button to select light, medium or dark color of the bread crust. I selected medium
5. Press the Loaf button to select the weight of the loaf. For the above ingredients, it will be a 1.0LB loaf.
5. Press the Start button and leave the machine to do its job.
Tadah!! After 2hr 50 min, the loaf is done!
|:: 1st Loaf of Bread using Song-Cho Breadmaker ::|
The dark spots on the bread are actually some leftover raisins from baking of my fruit cakes. I throw them in when the breadmaker is at knead2.
So how does the bread from Song-Cho Breadmaker fares against commercial bread? I actually find the crust to be on the thick side esp at the bottom. Maybe I should choose light color crust next time. As for the white bread part, according to my mom (an avid bread eater), it is comparable to commercial bread such like G brand or S brand.
Since this 1st loaf of bread, I have tested other recipes and yield more fluffy bread. Will be sharing in sequence posts.
2015 is coming! Have an awesome new year!